College All-Boys' Choir, Menasing off to Nationals
August 13, 2015 at 7:57 AM
We wish the College all-boys’ choir, Menasing, all the best as they head off to compete at the Big Sing National Finale in Wellington this weekend. This is the third year in a row that Menasing has earned the opportunity to compete at the New Zealand Choral Federation national event; one that attracts the best choirs from around the country, selected from the regional competitions.
The boys will be singing two formal recitals as well as singing a lunchtime concert at Te Papa on Friday. The event is covered by Radio New Zealand and Maori TV with the entire competition live-streamed. Our choir is timed to be on stage at approximately 11.00am on Friday morning and again on Saturday morning at around 11.40am. We wish them all the best!
Follow the link below to watch them live on Friday and Saturday: http://www2.nzcf.org.nz/thebigsing/livestream/
First Recital on Friday
- The Moon is Distant from the Sea – David N. Childs
- NZ Art song by American based NZer, David Childs – Emily Dickinson poetry
- The Pasture – Randall Thompson
- The fourth movement of Randall Thompson’s great American work ‘Frostiana’ based on the poetry of Robert Frost
- La Chanson De Mardi Gras – Michael McGlynn
- Celtic arrangement of the Cajun Mardi Gras song.
Second Recital on Saturday
- Good-Night – Matthew Emery. New composition by young Canadian composer – this will be the NZ Premiere.
- Leaning on a Lamppost – arranged by Robert Wiremu. A candid arrangement of the George Formby song with a few percussive surprises.
Back to News List